1. The Road Ended at the Beach and Other Legends: This is a four part film program curated by my friend Brett Kashmere regarding the “Escarpment School” of filmmakers that emerged from Ontario (including, among others, Rick Hancox, Richard Kerr, Phillip Hoffman, Steve Sanguedolce), their film and video work and the work they then inspired in other filmmakers (Mike Rollo, for example). Programmers and filmmakers will be in attanedance and tonight is the first screening at the Segal Centre. For full details and detailed information visit Brett’s website or check out the Facebook event page!
By Sonja Elizabeth Ahlers
2. Rookie, the new magazine for teenage girls edited by teenage style wunderkind Tavi. I’m often late to the the party when it comes to pop cultural stuff, but i’m glad I finally made it over to the website! Sonja has made some lovely images for the magazine to boot, so cool.
3. Campus Mixtapes and mixes in general! I especially like this one and this one so far.
4. Natasha’s Montreal Sessions residency this month, great guests, interviews and music.
5. Quantum Leap TV series The only TV I’m watching these days.
6. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (thanks to J for lending it to me)
7. Basin/Bassin by Andrea-Jane Cornell
8. Oh yes, the momentous support the McGill student body demonstrated for CKUT in our recent existence referendum!
9. Music, of course: getting ready to write another EP with Cobra & Vulture, mixing the full length record, practicing country tunes at the station occasionally with my co-worker Slick (we debuted a Patsy Cline cover live on air during the Venus Radioke show earlier in the month!).
10. Hats. In desperate love of them, especially with autumn stylings…my tumblr is kinda chock full of them lately!